Thursday, April 25, 2013

Always Evolving



by Staci Smith



 
Well- I am in show prep mode once again, but this time it's jewelry shows!  Each year to try to find a new direction to go in, just a little bit.  I have been very drawn to ancient, tribal, ethnic looking items lately.  So I wanted to add some brass to my jewelry line.  I have used it a little bit here and there, like in these Boho Hoop style earrings last year.

Brass Boho Hoops
 
I was never really a fan of gold, and yet, somehow, I am now being drawn to the richness of this golden yellow metal. 
 
Along with adding brass this year, I started to make some of my own chains for charm style necklaces.  Yesterday, I finally completed one, so I am sharing it with you, since it is all I have worked on for a couple days!!!!
 



 
 
I really like the results of both the chunky chain charm style and the richness of the brass.  I will certainly be making more!!!!  I think that the brass also begs for color to be added, and so, I am beginning to add more pops of color to my work.  Always evolving.  Not sure if its a process or just because I get bored easily!  Either way, it keeps things fresh.
 
What is your favorite metal to work with?
 
Is there a metal you have been wanting to try, but just haven't done it yet?

7 comments:

Jeni Gray said...

The necklace is stunning!! I am also attracted to the ethnic style. You have captured it well here.
I haven't done any real metal work in jewelry yet but I am SO ready! Thanks for the inspiration!! :)

TesoriTrovati said...

I have this rusty bit o' goodness that fell off my car the other day. I saw Brenda Schweder post that she found what looked very similar. We started corresponding about it and decided to do a little impromptu challenge and we are each creating some jewelry with that little bit of rust incorporated into it (sealed properly of course!) and have invited others to join us through Facebook. I am excited to see what this discarded bit of rust can become to make it beautiful! The reveal is May 6th so that ensures I will be back to blogging soon! Not sure what I will make but I am energized by the challenge. I love the way materials mold themselves into gorgeousness in your hands. Your style is instantly recognizable and always fascinating, Miss Staci! Enjoy the day. Erin

LisaS said...

Beautiful necklace!

I have been combining metals a lot lately. Not sure why...

stacilouise said...

I love Rusty metal Erin! I have actually been trying to make polymer look like rusty metal, so its not really rust- therefore, I don't have to seal it extra good :) can't wait to see what you guys do!

Kerri said...

i use to not like gold either- but now i love mixing different metal colors. your stuff is really unique!

Kelli said...

Love it Staci!! Earthy and rustic always speaks loudest to me. And funny your prepping for shows. Me too. Just preparing tomorrows blog about it. Hope you have a great weekend and a profitable show.

Shel said...

OH, Staci, I saw your necklace on pinterest last night and thought it was very cool indeed! My metal of choice has always been silver,...2nd is copper. I have been in a sort of tribal, ethnic, boho, rustic/beachy mood forever now it seems. I have always been drawn to this style only I didn't always create it - although when I do, it seems to have a sort of southwestern flair to it,..possibly due to living in Arizona in the middle of the desert for most of my life!! LOL!!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...