Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Ring display-TUTORIAL...and latest porcelain creations

Carol Dekle-Foss
Hello everyone!  Recently, I ran into the problem of not having a way to display new rings for an upcoming festival. I wanted to display them in a simple, unique way that would make each ring stand out. It seems like booth design is an ever evolving challenging process! For me, rings are the most difficult to display.

Here's what I came up with for the festival.



 I just cut a slot into little wooden rounds! They display nicely this way, and I also like being able to move them about. The only problem is the rings keep falling over! So annoying. 

 I decided to give it another try and do a tutorial with what I came up with. 


I have a plethora of little rounds that my husband cut out and these leather swatches. I wanted to use what I had on hand so this is what I made.
I just glued two rounds and a piece of leather together. I cut the edge of the leather as well to make it look a bit worn and frayed. It's deeper now so the ring sits in there much better. I'm still deciding if I like it though. See, always a work in progress! If the customer wants, I can always include the display with the ring as an added bonus!

Here are the easy steps:

After I glued all the pieces together and let dry, I marked the thickness of the band with a sharp edge.


I then used a diamond cutoff wheel and flex shaft to cut the edges. A tiny saw blade might be better for this step, but they freak me out! Yep, I'm scared to death of saws, even tiny ones!


I improvised here and used a little screwdriver as a chisel. I hammered the top of the screwdriver lightly to cut out the ring slots. It's so simple and fun to make! 

I think I like the idea of cutting out larger rounds that can hold 5 or 6 rings, and then have 3 or 4 scattered around the booth. That way I can organize them by style. We'll see!

Also, last week my husband and I were able to play with clay. 
I never get over how different they look when they come out of the kiln!

Here are some of our favorites.

These mandala pendants are so yummy!!

Sacred spiral pendants. Oh my, I love the swirling glaze pooling in the crevices.

Such a sweet detail. Leaf swirl pendants.

Dreamy cherry blossom pendants! I have a few listed in the shop.

And lastly, these adorable teensy weensy beads. They are so cute!

So how do you overcome the challenge of displaying your jewelry? I would love to hear from you!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a clever idea to use the wood rounds to display the rings. I am all in favor of using what you have on hand.

I am in love with the clay beads you created. They fit your style. Happy to see you creating. Take care Carol. Inspiring work.

P. Quinn
Myfoundobjects.net

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

I love the ring holder! It even looks easy enough for me to do! Though I don't do any shows anymore, I still need to photograph! And, rings -- and post earrings -- are the worst! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Love your latest clay work - especially the cherry blossoms!

:)

Unknown said...

The ring holders are perfect with you whole look! Thank you for sharing!

Karen, Arte Bella Surplus said...

Love the ring holders, so clever!!!!

Carol Dekle said...

Thank you everyone!

@Patricia Quinn, one day at a time Patricia. Everyday get a little better:)

@Patti, Ugh! Post earrings are terrible to display! I have a set on an earring cardholder and it's invisible! Thanks Patti!!!

@Staci, I've been trying to streamline my work and make it look not as rustic. Sorta modern rustic I guess? Anyways, always a work in progress!

@Karen Thank you so much!!!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...