Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Necklace bust makeover

by Patty Lakinsmith

If you do shows, and your necklace busts are worn and in need of replacing, you don't have to spring for an expensive, new set of busts just yet.  I want to share a project that I just completed that turned out great, and it didn't cost much.  There are loads of other ideas that could work for this purpose, but I chose this one because of what I had on hand.

Right now I'm moving toward more natural displays that complement the organic, nature-inspired style of my jewelry.  It's hard because I have no real talent in this area, but I was inspired by Kathy Frey's similar journey, and a woodsy-themed booth she once had.  Wood, water, moss and stone are the things that tend to capture my eye when hiking, and I decided to showcase my jewelry among those elements.

I decoupaged my fabric covered busts with several layers of tissue paper (using Mod Podge), followed by several layers of handmade paper I had made several years ago after taking a really fun paper making class with local artist Jeanne Tillman.  The paper encapsulated dried flowers and seeds from my garden, and some was tinted with spices from my kitchen, such as turmeric.  I also made over my black leatherette (and one black velvet) busts with spray on faux stone (a textured paint, actually).
I think this new piece (SOLD) would have faded into dark oblivion on a black bust.
I took them for a trial run at the Sacramento Arts Festival this past weekend, and I liked the effect.  Moss sheeting covered a wooden tray, and lined the compartments of a glass case, and I had a few faux moss-covered rocks (styrofoam) that proved irresistible for browsers.  I think I'll put a tin cup out there with a sign to "Pet my rock for 5 cents" or something - it was quite entertaining.



But there is much left to improve on.  That banner, the lights I completely forgot for the front corner of the booth, the 2 PVC table risers that were a larger diameter than the others and caused my side table to leeeeeean (wooden shims are a very handy thing to keep in your show bins).  But I'm glad I didn't have to go out and buy new busts. 

P.S.  I was ecstatic to learn that Kathy Frey was exhibiting at the Sacramento Arts Festival last weekend too, and ran over to her booth the first day to introduce myself.  Her work is incredible, and so graceful, and I enjoyed chatting with her a few times over the weekend.  If you haven't read her blog, you're in for a treat.

Have you done any art projects for your booth?   Little creative touches that set your booth apart from the others?

8 comments:

mairedodd said...

this is really great patty... what a difference in feel - the woodsy atmosphere is definitely captured here... your busts are beautiful(sounds strange to write) and i love the moss...
kathy's work is fabulous - thank you for sharing her...

SummersStudio said...

I love how you transformed these into something that works so well with your jewelry.

Alice said...

I love how you transformed these into something so earthy and natural looking! I have both black busts and white ones too, which I purchased when I first started doing show. I'm so bored with them but don't want to spend a ton of money on a different style. Thanks so much for the idea.

Your booth looks lovely! I'm sure it drew a lot of customers in.

Izzy said...

I saw the start of this process on your personal blog a week or so ago and thought the idea was perfect. Love the glass display case (shims are good for just about anything). Lovely booth!

Artisan Beads Plus said...

Wow, Patty! I don't do shows, but those look like they would be fun to have just to display my own necklaces in my home. Right now, they are all hanging on a cheap dowel.....
Great idea!

MaryAnn

stacilouise said...

I have a bag full of shims with me at all shows! At this point they are all outdoor shows, so they are a must.
WOW on the display. I am im love with the moss.....that display with the bracelets and moss just makes me want to stare longer....great idea with the busts too. Did you do any with the paper over velvet??? Mine are wearing out fast!

Patty said...

So you spotted my shims holding the lid of the display case, eh? LOL. BTW, I found that case at Michael's for about $20, and I lined each compartment with some moss covered styrofoam (to raise everything up).

Never do a show without duct tape, cable ties, and shims. The duct tape helped me deal with the uneven table situation (temporarily).

Staci - I did paper over leatherette, but not velvet, but I did spray a brand new inexpensive black velvet bust with the faux stone paint and it worked well. I bet with some patience (and ample Mod Podge, of course) the decoupage would work on velvet too. Give it a shot!

stacilouise said...

Thanks! Mine are starting to have some bare spots! I need to do something....LOVE the moss and case. What a great deal!!!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...