by LeAnn Weih, Summers Studio
It's that time again for Art Spark and this being the month of Thanksgiving, I chose 'gratitude' as the theme for this months creative motivation. There are many things large and small that I am grateful for in this life. We recently moved to North Carolina and I give thanks each day that I can wake up to new and wonderful changes as we move through the seasons. Like this glorious pin oak that greets me each morning with a blaze of colour while I sit on my back step and let the sun warm my face.
The family I am blessed to share my life with is something for which I am deeply grateful. And friends who share the ups the downs, the in betweens. I have that lovely copper leaf given to me by Mary Jane hanging over my work bench reminding me each day of her constant support and friendship even though we've never met. I keep little gratitude reminders scattered all around me.
Not long ago, I made this necklace as a personal piece to remind me of how living in daily gratitude brings happiness to my life. It contains elements of personal significance to me, including a gift of a bead to remind me to be thankful for friendship, my birthstone as a symbol of the gift of life which I am blessed with.
This is what I first wrote about this necklace:
"Silent meditation, this is the core of happiness to me. Whether you, pray, meditate, or walk in the woods, I think that pausing to be still inside yourself is a spring board to finding the things in life that make you happy. I created these bronze pieces with a medalion that has the mantra om mani padme hun in Tibetan script and a lotus with a garnet set. It is a gift to myself worn as a reminder to be still and take in the small things that make up the divine."
And for me meditation, or prayer if you like, is where I express my gratitude for the life that I've been given. It's the very foundation of my happiness. In what I think of as the 'crazy' holiday season ahead, I think it is especially important for all of us to step back and count our many blessing each day.
So this months Art Spark is to create a piece that in some way symbolizes gratitude for you. It can be anything you like. It can be about your family, your pets, nature, your spirituality, things large and small that you are grateful for. But you do have to tell us how what you create relates to gratitude.
And here is how you enter:
1. Take pictures of your creation (handmade with handmade jewelry or a handmade bead/pendant/component created by you) and upload it to our Flickr account. Please add creations that were made for this challenge only.
2. PLEASE tell us why this piece represents "gratitude" to you.
3. Since we promote "handmade", your piece must be at least 75% handmade. It may include handmade components by other artists, just please give credit to the artist in your description.
4. Only one submission per entrant, please. But you can and should include up to 3 images of that submission. We do have another flickr site to share creations not related to ArtSpark called "Strut Your Stuff." You can get to it by clicking the link on the left sidebar.
5. HAVE FUN with this!!! Check in often to see the entries. The link to our Flickr site can be found on the blog sidebar.
Each Monday we pick a designer of the week from the entries.
Below is the grand prize~ (winner is selected Monday, November 28th)
Lamp work bead set by Mika Collins of Pinocean
Ray Mine Chrysocolla Cabochon Hand Cut 32x20mm from Cabbing Rough
Bronze Snowflakes from Summers Studio
You will also win one year showing off your creation on our website. Check out previous winners by going to "challenges" on our website.
We can't wait to see what you create!!!!