Oh the holidays, weren't they so much more fun when we were young? Now its hustle and bustle and shopping and making gifts, wrapping and baking and cooking. I know for me, sometimes it can seem like more of a chore then a celebration.
(photo courtesy of http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/19/pf/holiday-shopping-deals/)
It is those times that I try to take some time to think about all I love about the holidays. No matter what you celebrate, I think these things can be universally healing during this sometimes tough time of year.
1. Gifts: I love to give gifts. I love to create gifts. At times it too can feel like a chore, but then I think of the little blessing the gift will be to someone I care about, and it is all worth it!
I had a blast making the above wine toppers for friends and family
2. Not everyone loves to shop for gifts, but I bet everyone loves to get them! It is so nice to know that someone thought of you- and my favorites are those really unexpected ones from people you did not think would be thinking of you. (coincidentally, those are also my favorites to give)
3. Watching kids open gifts! Whether it is your kids, or extended family, heck, you could you tube some adorable videos too, there is something about watching the magic of a child receiving a gift!
my girl Julia has loved Christmas since she was a tiny thing!
4. Cookies! I mean, c'mon, warm cookies. I hate the messy kitchen, but love the cookies- mostly, its so nice to make them with my special people.
photo courtesy of http://christmasintheforest.blogspot.com/2011/12/perfect-holiday-cookies.html
5. LIGHTS! I love lights- whether on a Christmas Tree, or on houses, bushes, mantels, soft twinkly lights make me happy. I love to unwind with a glass of wine or chamomile tea at the end of the day during this busy season, with those low tiny lights all over. (we went very minimal this year due to some really crazy events in my small town, and my decor, is mostly all lights! I love it just the same!!!)
6. Holiday Movies!!!! My favorites, A Christmas Story and Elf. Elf being my all time favorite I think.
7. Family. I know this is sometimes a hard one, whether you are missing a loved one, or have loved ones who drive you nuts, it still feels good to be surrounded by those who share your DNA or your heart, or both! Hug a loved one extra tight this year.
my brother and sis in law rocked the ugly sweater party this year! It is so cool that my brother and sis are also good friends with my same friends, so I get to see them at both family and friend events!!!
Those are some of my favorite things. What are yours? Is there anything that really helps you through the holiday funk?
We here at Love my Art Jewelry hope you all have a wonderful, and blessed holiday season this year. May it be safe, may it be full of love, and may you find time to relax in there somewhere.
(we will begin normal posts the week after Christmas as we take some time to enjoy our families and rest!)