Christmas is, like, a month away....right?
Ah, the joy of realizing the week before Christmas that you still have 25 gifts to magically make appear. If you are like me, you wait until that golden moment of panic/procrastination hits and you rush to your laptop and order everyone you forgot about something "thoughtful" from Wallgreens like socks with toes in them, or whatever else is left for sale on Amazon in the hours before Christmas. DON'T BE THIS PERSON!
Even if you find yourself scrambling for last-minute gifts, there is no need to panic or end up buying crap you then have to GIFT WRAP like it's something actually NICE. No one wants to open a nicely wrapped gift to find A JAR OF PICKLES. Unless that's your thing...then, YEAH?
So, I am here to give you some super-cool, EASY, and INEXPENSIVE ideas for gifts that will make you KING/QUEEN OF THE HOLIDAY PARTY. Your welcome....
1. The hilarious gag gift. Anything from Archie McPhee. How can you resist a website who's tag line is: "Archie McPhee has the best toys, gifts, candy and novelties on the internet. We love the same things you do: unicorns, bacon, mustaches and underpants." My favorite item this year is the Centaur Santa Claus. Cause...SANTA HAS AN AMAZING SIX-PACK! So, for those on your list with a slightly twisted sense of humor, get them HANDERPANTS and move on.
2. For the person who loves technology. BOOMFS. What are Boomfs, you ask? Only MARSHMALLOWS PRINTED WITH IMAGES YOU UPLOAD TO THE SITE! Serioulsy! How cool is this? I bought everyone Boommfs last year and got rave reviews. This is especially wonderful for Grandparents--imagine how they will love getting a box of marshmallows all with the Grandkids faces on them!!! Then plopping those adorable faces into a piping hot cup of cocoa and watching them melt....wait, that escalated rather quickly...Anyway, it's a fun, inexpensive gift to give that is easily personalized. But hurry, they stop shipping SOON.
3. The gift that will make you look far more interesting than you probably are.....AN EXPERIENCE. What do I mean? Well, how about giving a gift that actually requires the recipient to DO SOMETHING? Tickets or passes to a local museum/nature center/science museum/art show/concert/performance. NOT MOVIE TICKETS, but tickets to an actual event or activity. AND, throw in a disposable camera so they can share the experience after. My local nature center offers open ended day passes, and I buy these all the time. I am lucky to live in Florida and can give things like passes that allow folks to go on sea turtle nest walks along the beach or visits to wildlife rehab centers. This type thing is a great stocking stuffer and you will be surprised...people sometimes actually LIKE being forced to leave the home....
|Just imagine, this could be YOUR FAMILY...OUTSIDE!|
4. For the DIY-ers. Put ANYTHING into a clear craft glass Christmas ornament from Michael's. Seriously. ANYTHING placed inside a clear ornament is instantly ADORABLE. Got a friend with dogs? Tuck a few dog treats into an ornament. Cats? CATNIP, DUH. You can put CHEX-MIX in a clear ornament and have a spectacular hostess gift. Tea lover? Cram a few Earl Gray bags inside. Dried flowers, mini candy canes, lottery tickets, CASH, JEWELRY, it can all be stuffed into these ornaments and you are a HOLIDAY SUPERHERO. How about wildflower seeds? Heck, any seed at all! Perfect for a gardener....A LOVE LETTER! Photographs! If I wasn't late and trying to get this post up, I bet I could sit here and think of 12 BILLION things you could tuck into one of these ornaments to create a really thoughtful, cool gift. I am personally making many of these this year. I would love to tell you what I am putting inside, but I can't because a few of the folks getting this read this blog and well....I want it to be a surprise!
5. Finally, if you want to totally ROCK Christmas, buy some hand-made, amazing artisan jewelry and more from any of the spectacularly talented artists right here on LMAJ. Most of us also offer gift certificates, so you don't even have to suffer through looking at all the amazing jewelry and art and trying to decide what to buy. No one, I mean NO ONE will be less than THRILLED with this gift. And, I don't have to tell you that you are also giving a gift to the artists you support...your purchase allows us to continue doing what we love, and helps us with other stuff--like supporting our families and such....
So, take a deep breath, all you Secret Santas, you can do this! I hope your holidays are bright and full of love and peace. From all of us here at LMAJ....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!