Friday, October 24, 2014

Wind is not my friend.........

by Staci Louise Smith

So I had my last show of the year last weekend (my last outdoor art show that is).  The weekend was supposed to be gorgeous, but windy.  Gusts up to 30MPH.  

I was a wreck leading up to the show.  It is in a huge field with little to no cover or things to break the wind.  
:sigh:

Anyhow, I have a pretty wind proof display.  I do almost all outdoor shows, and our springs and falls here in northeast PA are certainly unpredictable.  I have done some REALLY windy shows.  
I have seen tents go flying, or even just break apart while the legs stay staked.  Not to mention its is near impossible to keep displays up in high winds.

I am happy to report that I faired well. I was in a partially sheltered area- a building not far away and some trees off to another side.  I was also completely surrounded by tents.  So I did not take the full brunt of the wind.

Anyhow, I know I have shared this before but I just wanted to give some windy day tent tips to you guys once more.  It is not only important to be prepared for YOU, but so your tent doesn't fly into anyone elses.

Here are some pics of my set up.  I use these large rubber flat weights that are 22lbs each. I put one on each leg.  


Then I add on top of that, bags of sand.  I think they are about 30lbs each.  to make them look nicer I got brown pillow cases for on top.
you can see the sandbags in brown on top of the black weights in the outer lower corners of the picture


I used to use the homemade PVC / cement weights.  What I didn't like about them is they attached around the frame of the tent, and put pressure on it.  plus, I have seen tents flip, even with these on them.
Still, they do a decent job, and are much nicer to lug around.  I would say they are the most popular though.


Here is a link to a blog that has a wonderful description of how to make them!  step by step!  Thanks Jen!!!



 I bungee cord my shutters that display my earrings to the tent, 



my shelves have displays on them, and on the back each one has a HUGE rock or brick.  



My crates have bricks and cement blocks.......

and duct tape is your friend for bust displays and everything else

(you can't even see it, but almost everything in this picture is duct taped from behind...its black tape)

you know, its a lot to lug around, but you don't' sell anything if you are spending your whole time picking up jewelry or holding onto things.

Anyhow, I could say at the end of the show, "Look Toto, we are still in Kansas"..................though at times, I feared I wouldn't be.

3 comments:

baymoondesign said...

Great tips! I think you have it' all covered!

Unknown said...

Thank you for all the good information and tips! Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Glad you made it through the windy day without any events. Great tips for securing everything!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...