Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Guest Post - Lauren Luquin

Jewelry from the Heart

Greetings.. My name is Lauren Luquin. I am so grateful that my friend Izzy asked me to contribute a guest post here at this lovely blog. Thank you ‘Love My Art Jewelry’ for having me...



I’d like to take this opportunity to share a bit about myself and what I do, with the intention of hopefully inspiring others in some way. My works are all about sharing in love and gratitude, and being true to myself as I evolve on my path, peacefully.





I am a married mama to 2 young children who constantly amaze me and challenge me to become more present and aware. After years of education and several jobs teaching the youth in public schools, I decided to stay home to homeschool/unschool my eldest and run my business. In August 2009 I opened my Etsy shop VisionWise, and started a blog as a way of expressing myself. Since then I’ve made lots of changes and transformed many times, and my business has grown slowly but steadily. I enjoy creating whatever I feel guided to make, but I spend most of my crafting time designing wearable art jewelry, and other spiritual medicine. The entire creative process of making my jewelry is guided from my heart-center and intuitive mind. The energy I feel permeates what I create, so I focus on love and healing... I write about the healing properties of the minerals, crystals, shells, and animal medicine I use, so that the deeper elements of what energy is being exchanged is known to the wearer, or anyone who reads my listings... This is a very important part of my creation process.

I’d like to share more about the deerskin cuffs I make because I have been thinking a lot about them and have the intention of creating lots more of them in March. My Etsy shop has been slowly running out of items because I’ve been deeply involved with my latest project- Intuitive Heart eCourse. Even though I haven’t been making as much stuff for my shop as I usually do, I know that my journey inward and my day-to-day experiences play a roll in the overall outcome of my creations, and that they will manifest in divine timing...

I use deerskin to make pouches, medicine bags, necklaces and cuffs. 90% of the deerskin I use has been given to me by other medicine people and lightworkers. The times that I have bought hides I have purchased from Native American Trade Posts that respect the animal’s life in ceremony. This is important to me because deer farming is not something I want to support in any way. Deers are sacred to me and I have learned so much from them. I love working with deerskin because it’s so soft and yet very durable, natural, and grounding.


When I feel drawn to make a cuff I get into a meditative state and burn white sage- purifying my workspace and giving thanks for the deerskin, and crystals, etc. I use: natural fiber sinew, a leather needle, a lighter, sewing scissors, a leather hole punch tool, and various organic beads. Sometimes I use recycled cotton fabric for the inner lining of cuffs, pouches, and bags.







When I begin handling the deerskin I envision the shape of the piece and begin to cut it out freehand. For cuffs, I use my own wrist and a measuring tape that used to be my grandmother’s to decide the length and width. Then I lay the deerskin onto the fabric I am going to use, and I trace around the edge, and then cut out the fabric. I punch holes around the edge of the cuff, then I get my sinew and needle and I sew on the beads of choice, and usually a coconut or abalone shell button... then I pin the fabric to the deerskin... and then cut a small hole on the opposite end of where the button is.


To start sewing, instead of making a knot, I use a lighter to burn about 3 inches of sinew into a hot waxy seal that I press flat onto the deerskin, paying attention to detail and trying my best to keep all of the seals concealed. I hand sew the entire piece and charge it with love and light... always. When I finish, I burn sage once again and move the cuff through the smoke purify it once again from any residual energies that it may have accumulated in my environment. I take great care to ensure that all of my items are passed along with the purest intention.

I feel healed when I follow my heart and create art jewelry using organic materials. It fills me with joy to share my works with others, and it inspires me to hear that my pieces affect people in positive ways. It is a beautiful exchange of energy that I am so grateful for.





I hope you’ll come check out my shop, and visit my blog... That’s where you can learn more about me, and contact me if you’re interested...

I’m also available on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. Here's more on my Intuitive Heart eCourse.

Thank you all for reading. Blessings on your path...

Much love,
LL

6 comments:

Izzy said...

Lauren thanks so much for visiting today. I just love what you make and the sweet energy that is lovingly put into each creation. Thanks again for sharing.

mairedodd said...

thank you so much lauren for this post... it is loving and informative... i love hearing about process - it brings so much more to finished pieces when i can envision the artist at work... i admire your work and ethics...

Barbara said...

Beautiful Post and what an amazing blog you have!!!! I've been stumbling around it all morning! You have some wonderful information there and I've found some new blogs to follow as well from visiting yours!

Lauren said...

Thanks ladies. I appreciate your comments very much. :)

Artisan Beads Plus said...

Fascinating.... I so admire artists who create with such depth. I wish I was able to do that.... maybe someday :o)
Thank-you for giving us a look into your creative process. I'll be checking out those cuffs.... They are wonderful!
MaryAnn

Libby Leuchtman said...

Thank you so much for such a great post. It is so interesting to hear about how other people create.

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...