Thursday, October 14, 2010

Okay, I'm selling my blood!

Spice Drops, torch-fired enamel, plaid dupioni silk

Spice Drops, detail

Spice Drops, link by Shannon LeVart

I was sitting outside taking photos of Spice Drops, when I watched a mosquito land on my arm.  I continued to work, paying it no mind, because I knew it wouldn't bite me.  I don't know when it happened, but for some time I have not had a bug or mosquito bite ... unlike the rest of my family.  They'll shriek when a mosquito lands on my face! As they lunge toward me to smack me in the face to kill it, I yell, "Stop!" because I know it won't bite me.   It wasn't always like this ... I remember having itchy mosquito bites ... my blood changed. I wish I knew how ... now THAT would be a book! :-)

But one of the things that's contributing to the surge of mosquitos in my yard is that the Purple Martins have left their home ... early this year.  It was the result of jet skiers speeding up and down our creek for two weekends in a row.  Finally, I marched down to the neighbors house and said, "Do you know there are wake laws and you could receive a $300 fine for what you're doing.  Just go about 50 feet in that direction and you'll be in the river!" (you jackasses! ... was said under my breath).  Well, after that we noticed that our Purple Martin friends were nowhere to be found.  Their condo is at the end of the pier.  Even they couldn't suffer through the noise! So sad ...

I know they eat their weight in mosquitoes every day, I just had no idea the impact it would have on our lives.  I hope they come back next year ... actually, I hope it for my family members who get big welts from mosquito bites. If you've got an unobstructed flight path, Purple Martins make good residents. 

Oh, btw, Spice Drops is listed on my website. It's a fun mixed-media bracelet with silk, torch-fired enamel beads, patinated links  (Shannon LeVart), copper chain, Japanese coiled fiber, and a pea green suede tie!  .... Barbara

5 comments:

mairedodd said...

beautiful bracelet barbara -
i am sorry to hear about the purple martins... i live by a river and we have jet skiers as well... they launch off of the beach where the horseshoe crabs (which are prehistoric) mate and come in close to the bird sanctuaries...

TesoriTrovati said...

That is a fun bracelet. I love the cacaphony of colors and textures. Thank you for sharing this story. People are so careless about what they do and how every little thing ripples out to affect another. Enjoy the day. Erin

sharon said...

This is a beautiful combination of texture and color Barbara!

I get so angry with people concerning our enviroment...it makes my insides shake. Good for you for speaking up. I love birds so....I hope they come back.

Riki Schumacher said...

Love this story. Why is it some care, and others could give a rip? What a world. Glad you said something to them. And your bracelets is yummy. Riki

Artisan Beads Plus said...

I hope they come back too! Some people (more and more these days) are so darn inconsiderate! I'm glad you spoke up too! Great bracelet, by the way!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...