Friday, October 15, 2010

Inspiration

I'm often asked, where does your inspiration for a piece come from?
Where do you get your ideas?
How long does it take to make a piece?
Do you sketch out ideas before you make your pieces? (psh... ha!)
Do you make your own components?

Yes, I have started making my own components, or using those of other artists. The true beauty and originality of a piece, I believe, is in the sum of it's parts. For instance, tonight, getting ready for yet another art show this weekend, I need to crank out quite a few pieces. There are no sketches, no pre-conceived notions, no ideas running through my head. All the inspiration I need is in the beautiful beads and components I have amassed.
And let me tell you, there is QUITE a mass!! ;0)

(... a mass of Mary Ann Carroll beads, a mass of MissFickleMedia components, a mass of ......... well... I could go on all night !)

Tonight I picked out the one pendant in the center, by Mary Ann Carroll. It's a beauty, huh?
That one piece, alone, inspired me. I immediately saw it with antiqued copper, then this beautiful copper leaf jumped out at me. It's actually a real leaf, dipped in copper. (perfect for fall, huh?) I picked out a few other beads,
and knew I would want it paired with a thick, natural, leather cord.
 I added in some of my own hammered, oxidized components, and voila!
A necklace was created!!!
I really like how this turned out!!
Sometimes, I think we try way too hard to MAKE something artistic and wonderful happen. I do it sometimes too. But, when I find myself struggling, I put those beads back in the box, and pick out a new one to work with. I let the beads and components speak to me, and usually end up with something I'm thrilled with in the end.

9 comments:

Judy said...

Great piece and I love your process. I always let my hands do the walking!

SummersStudio said...

I adore your pendant hanger leading to the clasp. Really nice!

TesoriTrovati said...

I am so loving that little squiggle in the front. I love seeing the pictures as you kept adding something. And I agree....I am always trying to top myself. I need to stop that. I need to just let it be and not get myself so paralyzed. Thank you for sharing your inspiration. Enjoy the day!
Erin

Barbara Lewis said...

Wow! This is amazing ... how you took so few components to make a piece with such great impact! Beautiful work, Kelli! You are great advertising for your fellow component and beadmakers. :-)

Unknown said...

I love this piece and the beads are spectacular! Blogs like yours inspire me! Thanks for sharing xo

Artisan Beads Plus said...

This is what I love about creating beads! You're the best Kelli....such a talent!

Kelli said...

Thanks everyone!!! It's a great thing when you love what you do!! Thanks Mary Ann!!! YOU are the best!!! Your beads SO inspire me. I did forget to mention in the post that ALL of the beads were handmade by the one and only Ms. Mary Ann Carroll !! :).......... Barb, I'm thinking you're next... I may try to do a similar blog next week with your components, beads, then Shannon LeVart's the following... I may just do a little series...... hmmmmmmm

Shannon Chomanczuk said...

Love your choices and the wire "hanger" you made. Have fun at your show.
Shannon

sharon said...

I love this asymmetrical design and great combo of elements! Really nice!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...