Monday, July 18, 2011

Art Spark Designer of the Week

by Izzy Winterhart

This week was a hard decision as we’ve had so many lovely submissions. The piece I’ve chosen for this week is Over the Ocean Blue by DesignedbyLu.



Here’s what Lu has to say about her piece.

“Living so close to the ocean, I am provided with a great deal of inspiration...when i look at this piece, I can vividly feel and smell the ocean breeze as I slowly walk barefoot along the soft sandy beach on a lovely peaceful sunny day. Organic lampwork beads from twosisters and uvanamos; leaf resin charm, jadescott; antiqued brass rollo chain.”

For me, Lu's piece brings back so many wonderful memories.  When I was younger I attended college at UNC-W which is located on the coast of NC. During the summer I would work in a little concession stand by the beach in Fort Fisher. It was a State job so I had to wear the lovely polyester gray shirt and forest green polyester shorts. Between the uniform and the small confines of the concession stand, whew, it made for a long, insanely hot summer. But I loved it. My friend, Buddha, was the life guard and my ride to work each day (don't let the name scare you, he was an excellent life guard). Every morning he’d pick me up in his jeep and we’d head to work. He liked to get there early so he could swim a bit before starting the day. While he soaked up the salt water, I’d sit in the sand and enjoy the quiet beach before the crowds stormed in. It was my time to meditate, to smell the ocean, hear the gulls, feel the sun warm my cheeks. I’ll never forget that place and those times. We don’t visit the beach much anymore, we’ve become more mountain folk, but I sure do miss those days.

Thanks Lu for bringing back those wonderful memories and reminding me that my love for nature extends beyond my backyard.



Remember this is the last week to submit your piece for this month's Art Spark challenge.  Better hurry up and finish whatever you are working on and get it loaded to our Art Spark Flickr group.  AND, don't forget to show off your favorite pieces on our Strut Your Stuff Flickr group!

5 comments:

stacilouise said...

Congrats Lu! I love the organic feel of your piece!

mairedodd said...

congratulatiosn lu! beautiful piece...

Artisan Beads Plus said...

Lu is definitely a favorite of mine! Another great piece, Lu!!!!

DArsie Manzella said...

Congrats Lu! Beautiful work~

Kelli said...

Love it Lu~ Beautiful

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...