Thursday, April 18, 2013

I Wanna Do that AGAIN!

by Staci Smith

Ever make something in polymer or metal clay, that you wished you could make again?  Well, I have, and I have found that two part molding compound is my friend.
 
I use it ALL the time.  I make most of my own textures, stamps and molds and it is something that I do not live without.
 
Yesterday I tried my hand at it using a more three dimensional, and detailed item that I made.  I thought I'd share how easy it is to make a mold of your beads so you can easily reproduce them.
 
Here is what I made free form, in polymer clay.  (It's a lotus flower, not sure if you can tell or not).  I baked it, and wanted a way to make more without so much time invested into it.


So I got out my two part molding compound- it is a silicone product.
 
Use a designated plastic spoon to scoop some out of each.
 
Make sure you have an even amount of each color.
 
Mix them together.............
 
until they look like this (some brands are yellow and will turn light yellow)
 
Next flatten it a little (not too much) and press it over your item.  Try to make sure it covers all the parts, and in this case, because it was very 3-D, in all the crevices. 
 
Then leave it sit.  The package says it takes 5 minutes to set, but I think its still too soft at that point and find 20 minutes to work best.
 
Voila!  You have a mold.  This one got a bit messy, I had to clean it up a little byt trimming some extra silicone off.
 
To test my mold, I pressed some new polymer clay into it, and got this.........
 
I am pretty happy with it.  I needed to use my needle tool and such to clean it up a bit, since the edges have excess clay, but it is still much quicker then starting from scratch!
 
I am going to try to use it in metal clay too.
 
So, remember- molding putty is your friend!
 
And saving time with the production, allows me more time to paint and create and make pieces like this with it.
 

 
 
 I leave you with Peace Lotus, my newest design.
 
 

15 comments:

Mary Harding said...

Very cool pendant, Staci, and necklace. I have never tried Megamold but others that are similar. I see this one works really well on deep images!!

Kalaya Steede said...

Awesomeness!

mairedodd said...

this is terrific staci... and i will have to try that compound... i used one that left a residue on the resin i was pouring... the lotus is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Itis absolutely stunning!

Work Of Our Hands said...

I have only used liquid silicone in the past which is a pain in the butt because of bubbles......I'm gonna try this. Thanks for sharing

LisaS said...

Gorgeous result!

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

That is so darn cool, Staci! I've always wondered about creating polymer piece that "mimics" a bead woven one. Looks like this might be the trick. ;)

Jeni Gray said...

This was VERY inspiring! Thank you. I am just starting out and am grateful for these kinds of tips! :)

Tammie T Everly said...

Great post Staci, thanks for sharing, you are such an inspiration to me. I am trying to work towards making my pieces all my own from start to finish without too many commercial stamps, molds, etc. This is a great way to do that. OK...now adding 'mega mold' to my must purchase list.....

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

That looks great! Polymer is such a cool medium... Happy to see that slab out & in use! ;)

Cindy said...

Wow! So beautiful, Staci! I learned about molding compounds from Christine Damm's polymer class at artBLISS last year but haven't taken the time to explore it further. Your necklace is incredible!

TesoriTrovati said...

I learned about molding putty from Heather Powers and also used it in a really cool class with Debbi Simon. I will have to share mine sometime. I am starting to carve my own things as well and this might be the way to go for my clay creations. Thanks for the reminder and the inspiration! Enjoy the day. Erin

Georgina said...

Just came across your blog...what great jewelry!! Thanks for the tips on making molds. Used to make them in college for my ceramic courses, but this is sooo much easier and cleaner too!! LOL

I love your blog and website...you're jewelry is incredible.

Georgina

Unknown said...

That's such a great idea and your pendant looks awesome!

CraftyHope said...

SUPER COOL!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...