Tuesday, August 21, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things


 I have some things I just love to share with others. Some are just little bits of goodness, others are must haves.

I love google images. Here are some my favorite searches.

Moroccan pottery: Just try it. You will get an explosion of colors, designs, and beautiful shapes.


Seed Pods: Well duh. Yep I am obsessed with pods and their shapes. Can't get enough of them. I mean look at this! Yummy.


 Russian Onion Domes: Ok yeah they look like fancy pods but they are still super cool. I have used several images for references in my work.

Fiber. Love the colors, textures, and feel. Lately I have a love of recycled sari ribbon. My favorite shop is closing but their are several on Etsy that have the ribbons. I found one called 
YarnAndFiber





Then I have a favorite thing to do with it. Make Sari Bangles! I sold all of the ones I did so I have to make more. Humm I guess I need to buy more ribbon, imagine thatThe lovely Missficklemedia
has a great tutorial.

I wish I had more time to play with metal. I see all the new stuff our lovely Love My Art Jewelry artist are making and it just blows me away. 

I did play with it and one of my favorite tricks I learned was to use Vinegar and Salt potato chips to make a lovely green patina. Yep you heard it right. 

You take your copper piece and super clean it (I used a fine steel wool). Dip it in salt water and put a layer of crushed up vinegar and salt potato chips in the bottom of a small bowl, put your copper pc. on top then cover it with another layer of chips, put the lid on and let sit for a hour or more. You can even spray vinegar on top for a faster result. It's so much fun.

Course these are just a couple. Do you have some favorite things? Let us know!

 








7 comments:

Alice said...

Oohhhhh, thanks for the patina tutorial and the fabulous eye candy!

Artisan Beads Plus said...

What a fun idea! I'm going to try that :o) I will have to get past the part where I want to eat the chips!
MaryAnn

Julie Holmes said...

I just got my girlfriend a tagine for her wedding present and boy do I wish I would have had those GORGEOUS ones to choose from!...and...I am now craving salt and vinegar chips.. Loved this post, beautiful color!

mairedodd said...

thanks, libby - it is really fun to see how you are inspired by these things... and while they are different, you can see the common thread and how it ties into your work...
you are aware, i hope, that the little cliff hanger at the end requires a follow up! :0)

Libby Leuchtman said...

Yes indeed a follow up is defiantly called for! Thanks guys you are all the best!

Kelli said...

Love the chip idea!!!! I must try it!!!!

Kelli said...

Love the chip idea!!!! I must try it!!!!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...