Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Safety First

Julie Holmes

Happy 4th of July everyone!  Have a safe and sane day.  It seems like an appropriate day to have a talk about safety in the studio.

Fire:  It's fun, useful and creatively beneficial...until it's not.  If you've ever had a fire in your home (I have) you know how devastating it is.  Be safe with your gases and your torches.  There is a good video on torch safety here.

General Safety: There is a good article on general studio safety at The Ganoksin Project  here.

Protect your eyes:  Wear safety glasses any time you are hammering, sawing, buffing, playing with your cat or even just gesticulating wildly.  Trust don't want to lose the use of those eyes!  Use special glasses if you use a kiln. There is a good article about this here.   Lamp-working glasses (which have didymium lenses) don't block infrared rays and shouldn't be used for kiln work.
Hair:  Dye it pink to be easier to spot in a crowd...and tie it back around flames, buffers and zombies.

Clothing: Wear natural fibers around flame.  That way, if you do set yourself on fire, your clothing won't melt and adhere to your skin.  Cheery thought, I know.  You might also want to wear an apron because they're cute (duh) and retro....kind of grandma-ish  in a good way, or (cough) manly and protect your clothes from splashes, spills, acids, stains, patinas and the fashion police.

I hope you have a really good holiday and stay safe always!


Kelli said...

;). Good post! AND it made me smile

stacilouise said...

Cute! Fun way to give some safety tips. (and I already have the pink hair:)

mairedodd said...

i agree with staci - a great way to give tips!
thanks - and happy 4th!

Artisan Beads Plus said...

Thanks for the tips..... and for the laughs :o) I've been working on upping my safety standards since I tend to be a bit careless!

Julie Holmes said...

Me too's a bad habit, I always think I'll worry about that later. That changed a bit when we had our fire...we were cleaning up adhesive on the floor with lacquer thinner and neither one of us was smart enough to think about the lit pilot light of the water heater in the hall...whoosh, a flash fire. Scariest thing ever. My ex was at Home Depot at the time...the man was uncanny at never being there during the toughest times!

Barbara said...

Love your sense of humor Julie! Yes, Safety is so important and it takes posts like this to remind me of it...Unfortunately, I normally take a "do as I say, not as I do approach...."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...