Tuesday, January 24, 2012

in progress...


mary jane dodd

'...with intention' 2012

know your materials:

clay thai amulet... i have finally found these locally, i have such resistance to buying them online... if i am using them as authentic amulets, i do not want fakes in my work... 

tibetan double terminated quartz crystal that has a beautiful iridescence inside... not a herkimer diamond - they are double terminated quartz crystals as well, but are mined only around herkimer, ny, usa... i wanted the tibetan quartz here... 

red thread refers to a chinese proverb -

 'an invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. the thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break.'

gemstones are beautiful for color, but they are also believed to have metaphysical properties... you can enhance a piece by imbuing them with the power of certain stones... 

i have pages of text in sanskrit - it is beautiful to look at... but i won't use it in my resin work because i do not know what it says... i believe strongly that your choices affect the energy of a piece... 

what are some of the details that you find to be important?

and please stop by art saves curated by barbara lewis this week... today she features past posts from staci's and my blogs... 

i know that art has saved me over and over - how has it affected your life?





7 comments:

Jean A. Wells said...

Your work has such a deep spirituality to it. I am just amazed by it. I am sad to say that I don't think mine does. I wish I had words to express things like you do.

Artisan Beads Plus said...

Art brings me peace. I have not had a life filled with peace so I savor those moments when I can create.
MaryAnn

stacilouise said...

art brings me joy. and I can find art in many things.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

My art is totally self gratification. It is necessary for my own self esteem.

Your work IS spiritual, and so many times your pieces express what is in MY soul.

the proverb is thought provoking...as the prayer of your piece is too.
xx, Carol

Barbara said...

Maire, each element you use in your work speaks with such intention and thought-full-ness. This is a wonderful and thought-provoking quality. xo.

Barry said...

MD-love that u think so much about the authenticity of the tablets and crystals when making sacred objects. I know in creating meditation bowls and personal shrines I put a lot of thought and positive energy into the pieces. Lucky people who buy your sacred objects. Go well. B

Kelli said...

I'm not sure how I'd get through life without a creative outlet. It lets ME, the true me, speak. I have a good job that I'm good at, but it does not allow for any creativity. Creativity keeps me sane. Creativity and art speak to my heart and soul, like nothing else can.

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...