Saturday, December 3, 2011

A "friendly" wood-firing....

Robin's teapot

by MaryAnn Carroll

For those of you who have been following for awhile, you will know that my husband Bill is a Wood-fire Potter.  He built his own kiln a few years ago and after many firings, he continues to try to learn from each experience and make the next one better.  This very involved type of creating requires stoking the wood kiln every 1-5 minutes.  He loves it.  I love what comes out of it :o)  Not only does he stay at the kiln for up to 18 hours (it is smaller than the average wood-fire kiln so firing time is shorter than most), he cuts and splits the wood, stacks it, teaches workshops and also teaches full-time in the Syracuse City School District as a middle school art teacher.  During his last workshop for the Syracuse Ceramics Guild, we had the pleasure of getting to know some new friends Robin and Ryan.   Robin is in the guild and Ryan is her significant other.  Ryan loves photography and spent the weekend taking pictures.  He's putting together a youtube video for Bill. They spent both days last weekend loading and firing the kiln with Bill.  I say "day," but Bill didn't come to bed until 1 am Monday.

Ryan and Robin
Getting ready to load...

Loaded,  bricked up and the firing in progress...

Break time...

First view of the opened kiln...
One of Bill's many bowls...
Robin's wood-fired peace ornaments...
Robin's vase
My beads....
Close-up.... This is the beauty of wood-firing.  That is ash melted into the glaze.

Another view...

Turquoise glaze...

Up close....

Gorgeous!

Both Bill and I are having a 20% off sale.  Today we will be in a small show for the afternoon.  I don't typically do shows, but this one is small and our local bead shop is hosting it.  Once that is over, we'll have more to list throughout the week.

Bill's shop: http://splitfirepottery.etsy.com
Bill's website:  http://splitfirepottery.com
My shop: http://artisanbeadsplus.etsy.com
My website: http://artisanbeadsplus.com

As always.....

Thank-you for supporting those who create handmade with handmade.....

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all looks so wonderful! I'm jealous actually because I'm not sure there is anyplace around here I could do a wood firing.

Artisan Beads Plus said...

There is actually a wood-fire kiln map that was put together. Maybe you might be near one and don't know it :o) Here is the address http://sidestoke.com/worldmap.html

MaryAnn

Alice said...

What a joy it must be each time you open the kiln and see all the lovely pottery and beads! I would be in heaven!!!

diane hawkey said...

I love wood fire work. Those beads are amazing.
I am also jealous that I could not possibly do a wood firing by my house. My neighbors are used to my barbeque smoking, but I don't think i could get away with a huge kiln smoking in the yard, they know even i am not that bad of a cook.

Clamworks said...

Love everyone's pieces! I would totally have been squealing when it was opened lol. Your beads are gorgeous...I don't think I've ever seen wood-fired beads before, but they're awesome!

Barbara said...

Oh, I'm so glad you posted this! I love wood fired kilns. When I used to stay in NC quite frequently, I was priveleged to see the firing of a large bee hive wood firing. I remember the flames shooting out the top at different times for the different heats. I think their particular firing took around 36 hours (I could be wrong though) It was so fascinating and beautiful. I would love to apprentice to something like that!!!!

Artisan Beads Plus said...

LOL, Diane.... We can burn since we live on 15 acres and only have 2 neighbors with the same amount of land. Thanks to everyone for the nice comments :o)

Artisan Beads Plus said...

Barbara.... it probably was 36 hours. Bill's is small and doesn't take as long to get to temperature. He's hoping to retire soon and do this full time. His biggest weakness is staying consistent with listing...... I'm on him all the time about it because he does well when he lists regularly.

Erika said...

I think you spelled Bill's link wrong - it won't go through. Love you guys' wood fired stuff!

Erika said...

I think you spelled Bill's link wrong - it won't go through. Love you guys' wood fired stuff!

Artisan Beads Plus said...

Whoops! I'll fix it! I added an extra i. Thanks!

mairedodd said...

i absolutely love when you share pics from these firings - i love process shots... if the first view makes me gasp from afar, i can only imagine what it is like in person - but then, that is the addicting part of art/craft making, is it not?

Izzy said...

Wishing I lived closer because that looks like so much fun...

MoonRae said...

Spectacular!! thanks so much for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check out the link you posted! Thanks!

Kelli said...

Gorgeous work, as always!!!!!!!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE all of Bills pots and vases!!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...