Tuesday, October 4, 2011

guest post - cat kerr



“Begin”

When I first started selling my artwork on Ebay over 5 years ago I first asked myself… Am I crazy?... I then asked.... “Who in their right mind would buy what I make?”... Sigh... and no one did. And so I stopped and gave up. That is until one night I read the poem that changed my life. “The Journey” by Mary Oliver.  The first lines read “One day you finally knew what you had to do and began, even though the voices around you kept shouting their bad advice.” …and that was it, I knew what I had to do. Sometimes it is not enough to know… sometimes you just have to begin. Or as in my case…begin, Again.

My name is Cat Kerr and I am a mixed media artist. I am on my Creative Journey and I feel huge amounts of gratitude to be able to do what I love everyday. I create with the intention of sharing a piece of myself. I assemble and I glue, I stitch and I paint my love into each and every corner, and with prayers behind it, I set it free.

“Free Bird” Assemblage
This year my creative journey took me down another road. It was a natural sort of transition for me to slip my love into jewelry. At age 13 I had a love for fashion design and fabric, at 20, it was paper and found objects, at 35, metal and wood… Today, it is the thrill of combining them all, creating unique, one of a kind mixed media jewelry.

“Playing with Felt” article in  Autumn 2011 Belle Armoire Jewelry


Created by using felt, wood, paper, and vintage rhinestones…


…and Soldered boxes with Filigree, filled with trinkets and ICE Resin…

or perhaps adding some texture with etching, helped along by the sweet guidance of Maire Dodd...


My creative journey is ongoing…I am still learning, I am still growing, I am still moving forward. But one thing I know for sure, there is no journey, unless you take the first step.

So begin and start creating.


editor's note:

you can follow cat here:
etsy shop for mixed media and altered art 
etsy shop for mixed media jewelry

in addition, cat was recently selected to be on susan lenart kazmer's ice resin creative team 2011 - 2012... congratulations cat! that is a huge honor... looking forward to seeing more of  your work... 


10 comments:

Artisan Beads Plus said...

What a great post! Thanks for telling us about your journey. I'm forever changing with life and the experiences it brings... both good and bad. To me, that is what it is all about.... discovering and re-discovering who you are and learning from those discoveries along the way. You have made a great choice by listening to your your heart. Your work is fabulous!!!
MaryAnn

mairedodd said...

thank you so much cat for agreeing to share your work and story with us... your work is unique and meaningful...

SummersStudio said...

Lovely to hear the story of your artistic journey. Thank you for sharing it and your art.

Izzy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your journey! Your work is beautiful!

DArsie Manzella said...

I love the "sewing drawer" feeling of your work with felt and wood. I'm off to check out your shops! Thank you for your persistance on your unique path. It is a strong inspiration to always listen to your heart~

CS said...

Thank you for sharing your journey.
Opening your heart takes courage. You have inspired me to rethink some things on my own journey!

Prządka said...

I also would like to write what I think about the Cat. I love hers unique works. Cat is a great creator and a wonderful woman. She is full of warmth and friendship to other people. Although she is very talented, has a lot of modesty. I really admire Cat and her works.
Greetings from Poland :)

Judy said...

I loved hearing your story Cat, you are an amazing and talented woman. I always look forward to seeing your creations!

Createology said...

Thank you Cat for sharing your journey with us. Your mixed media work is wonderful. I adore how you have put so much into your pieces. Joyful journey...

In the Light of the Moon said...

Thank you all so much for letting me visit and feel right at home.It may be hard to get rid of me now.Big Hugs,Cat

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...