Sunday, July 31, 2011

welcome

mary jane dodd

malachite azurite 

each month, our very generous readers/supporters donate their wares to our artspark... recently, i was contacted by laura and karl hansen of cabbing rough... she offered to donate to our group every month so that you very lucky people (who need only submit to the artspark challenge) might win one of the beautiful stones they will provide....

think of the techniques you can start learning to use them - prong setting, tab setting, making bezels of beads or metal, wire wrapping... 

cabbing rough has a blog, etsy shop and flickr group... their family was even featured in the etsy blog... for this truly is a family business... you can follow all of the links to learn more... 

i asked laura to share a bit about cabbing rough so that we could bring people to the name... 

My husband Karl and I work together cutting our stones, it started as a hobby but we now work full time from home. We have 4 children Dylan (12) Tyler (11) Molly (6) and Charlie (4). Our kids are the center of our world. They are all very involved with what we do as well - rocks are fascinating to kids! Especially our daughter Molly, she can cab a rock herself with almost no help, and can identify more stones than most adult collectors!
 
Karl and I are both completely self taught. In fact, we tried cutting our first rocks with a tile saw because we did not have the money for lapidary equipment. It was just about 6 years ago I ran into a 92 year old man at a flea market that sold us our first grinder and saw for $90.
 
Cutting stones is the greatest job I have ever had. It's amazing to be able to take something that looks like nothing, cut it open and find the amazing colors and patterns that are possible. I love the thought that the rock I just cut may have sat for a millions of years in one spot. A dinosaur could have stepped on the rock I cut this morning!
 
So we take rocks and cut them to look beautiful, then send them all over the world to become something amazing by some of the most talented artists. When I work on a rock, I often imagine a finished jewelry design for it. My favorite part of my job is too see our stone in a finished piece of jewelry.
 
We sell our stones on etsy. My mom actually pushed us into etsy about a year and a half ago. We never thought there would be any market for our hobby. Since then we have cut and sold over 3000 stones through the marketplace. And through etsy I have made so many very good friends.



there is even an article on how to cut a rock on their blog... 

dinosaur bone

so welcome laura and karl to our little village... and many thanks to you for your generosity... 

august's artspark theme will be announced shortly - be on the look out for cabbing rough's beautiful donation for the month... 

8 comments:

Artisan Beads Plus said...

That is just amazing! I looked at flickr and was fascinated at the rocks that they purchased to cut. I really never had a clue as to how any of this was done. I actually had this conversation recently with my husband while we were walking the beaches in Massachusettes. We were talking about gemstones and thinking about how it might be done. At the time I was thinking about stones that are sold commercially not the ones like Laura and Karl cut one by one. I don't even want to share what I thought...... waaaaayyyyyy too silly .... I absolutely LOVE the work by CabbingRough and it has inspired me in many different ways.... got the wheels turning ;o)
Awesome!

MaryAnn

SummersStudio said...

Welcome, Laura and Karl, and your children too! This takes me back so many years. My dad collected and cut his own stones so many years ago. All of his equipment was made by him. Like your children, I grew up cutting stones. It's a totally fascinating and endlessly inspiring thing to do. I'm so happy you are joining us with your generous sponsorship.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Thanks for the introduction Mary Jane! I've already been over to their shop and "favorited" many... Hopefully those favorites will find their way into my creations soon.

Patty said...

Beautiful cabs, and what a wonderful offer. Kudos to Mary Jane for the writeup, and many thanks to the talented Hansen family!

Kelli said...

Beautiful stones!!!! I checked out "how to cut a rock". Very cool tutorial. I had no idea what went into it. Welcome, and thanks for your incredible generosity!!

KayzKreationz said...

That dinosaur bone is a gorgeous stone. Will be checking out all their links. And waiting for August spark.

cabbingrough said...

Wow, thank you so much for the warm welcome! I am honored to be a part of your challenge, and I can't wait to see this months entries!

Autumn Bradley said...

Great feature on one of my favorite Rock Hounds!!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...