Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Texture


First, let me introduce myself.  My name is Izzy and I’m the newest member of the LMAJ team.  I’ve been doing the happy dance ever since I was asked to come on board.  Seriously, I’m so delighted to join such an amazing group of gifted women.  If you want to know a little more about me you are welcome to click on my bio link located over there on the left side.  Now, let’s get on with it...  Let’s talk about texture.

There are so many different types of texture.  You find it in music, photography, painting, sculpture, drawing, nature – just about everything around us.  Texture stimulates the sense of touch and its visual imagery inspires emotion and thought.  Patterns send messages of imagination to the brain or perhaps bring in memories of something wonderful.  Personally texture is what I love most about mixed media jewelry.  Not only can you incorporate mixed metals, but also throw in a bit of glass, fabric and/or clay, whatever your heart desires.  And the end result will be more than awesome.

So when I first noticed textured copper a few months back at my favorite copper store, to be honest, I was torn as to whether or not to buy.  A part of me felt a bit as though I was cheating because I didn't “create” that texture.  But my eyes were shouting “buy, buy, buy”.  Yeah, I could buy a rolling mill, and whew, throw down some serious cash, or just purchase this copper already textured.  It was a no brainer.


These lovely sheets have sat on a shelf for a while now and each time I sat down at my work bench I’d look over and say “maybe I’ll use you tomorrow”.  A few weeks ago these guys screamed out to me and demanded that I make them into something beautiful.  So I did.  Now I realize my reluctance was completely unfounded and I wish had picked them up sooner.  Love, love, love this copper!!  Each sheet is 24 gauge and once annealed it’s like working with paper.  Never again will I question my first instinct.  Especially when it’s something textured and I can create something this stunning.


“Texture is the most enduring and ubiquitous underpinning of form... certainly a calming, meditative and appealing world for both the eye and mind.”  ~Lynda Lehmann

8 comments:

Alice said...

Hello it's nice to meet you! I'm fairly new to working with metal and have been wanting to use the textured metals I see on the web.

Your piece is just gorgeous and I love the little extras like the sweet drop at the bottom and the added color of the cab in the middle.

mairedodd said...

wonderful quote and awesome post! i love what you did with the copper sheet and now am going to do some searching online for that... you are right - one must weigh time and cost into investments... but you really struck gold here... thank you for the glimpse inside your process!

Artisan Beads Plus said...

I love texture also, Izzy! That is an absolutely gorgeous piece! Welcome :O)

DArsie Manzella said...

Gorgeous creation! I love all that great texture, but what you made with the raw material is absolutely stunning!! Welcome Izzy~

Patty said...

Yep, those rolling mills are expensive! I just ordered some of this myself the other day, and can't wait to use it. The whimsy in the texture and shape of your piece is great! Glad to have you aboard, Izzy!

TesoriTrovati said...

Welcome, Miss Izzy! I think that your piece is stunning. Working with metals like this is so exciting. Thank you for sharing a glimpse into your process!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

VanBeads said...

Beautiful textures, Izzy! And I just loooooove copper. You make me think about how I can achieve texture in my beadwork, and now I'm inspired to try something new this week! Thanks for such a gorgeous and inspiring post!

Kelli said...

I agree! I LOVE texture. And I love to mix textures to create more interest. I MUST find some of this incredible copper! It's wonderful!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...