Friday, October 8, 2010

do i have a commitment issue?

it's not what you are thinking - 


lately i am  having trouble creating finished pieces of jewelry... i have ideas (all sketched out in my journal and floating around my head), i try to sit down and then i get antsy... really antsy... 


i know that i need things to feel right before i can complete a piece... do i have the right gemstones to represent what is needed? the right balance of metal and fibers? plus i also need the head static to quiet down and that hasn't been happening...  


so lately, i keep making more components - 


i play with enameling (thanks to barbara lewis), setting eyelets, etching and texturing... 


i play with patina (thanks to shannon levart), fusing, stamping and shibuichi... 


i play with soldering, resin and words - getting those discs sooo close to being all grown up... 


these too - they have just graduated from wax sealing finishing school... 


'when work, commitment and pleasure all become one
and you reach that deep well where passion lives,
nothing is impossible.'
~ author unknown

5 comments:

Alice said...

I'm just the opposite. I can't commit to begin. I wonder if I have enough time, inspiration, talent, supplies, and knowledge to even tackle the project I might have running around in my head. I don't want to get started and find I need to order more components to finish it, or waste wire on a design that may or may not work out. It really is quite frustrating--this habit of mine.

Maybe we need to make a pact with our artistic selves and commit to make something no matter what is going on in our heads....?

Judy said...

I make lots of components too and they sit in a pile until my hands call their name...they will get their turn, it is just a matter of time. Until then keep creating, it keeps the creative juices flowing!

Artisan Beads Plus said...

I seem to have problems with following through. Since I've been creating ceramic beads for so long, I'm having a hard time finding my style again for jewelry. I find it difficult that when I envision something one way, put it together and it doesn't look like I envisioned, I just put it down and don't finish! I've been trying to make myself push through that and trying to stop over-thinking....a very bad habit of mine.

stregata said...

I know the feeling. I make a piece - and then, I am not sure how it needs to be finished. So frustrating, because the idea is still knocking around in my head, but the end of the road is hidden in the fog.
You have been making some very yummy components and I know they will be finished into ravishing pieces - when the time is ripe.

Barbara Lewis said...

Oh, I think I can follow through with the jewelry but yesterday I started to clean my messy, dirty, and dusty studio and rather than start at one corner and work my way around, I went hither and yon! It's a friggin' mess!

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...