Friday, October 1, 2010

Art Show Season by Kelli...

Hi, I'm Kelli Pope. First of all, I'm thrilled to be part of http://lovemyartjewelry.com/.   It's allowed me to showcase the pieces I've created using my own handmade components, wirework, and other artists handmade beads and components. Mary Ann Carroll's beads first drew my attention on ETSY when I was looking for handmade beads for my creations. I wanted to make truly one-of-a-kind pieces.
While most of my fellow artists on this site have blogs, websites, published pieces in magazines (WOW!!), and their own successful ETSY shops, I'm still out there hitting the art show circuit. I live in Southern Indiana, but was born in Kentucky, and consider myself a Kentucky girl (sorry Hubby, I'm just NOT a Hoosier :) I live just a few short miles across the Ohio River from Louisville, Kentucky. All of my shows to date have been Kentucky shows. It's a lot of work getting ready, setting up, selling and tearing down, but I love every minute of it.

My wonderful sister Susan takes care of sales, and keeps me busy making custom orders and alterations. I love seeing my repeat customers. The best part of the shows though, is probably seeing someone's face light up, when they put on that piece that looks like it was made for them. While an ETSY sight may be in my future, right now, I'm loving my time with the public and my "followers". Kelli

4 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Kelli- First let me say that I am thrilled with all the wonderful talent that is populating this site. Second I have to commend you on your commitment to the art show circuit. I do one show a year, indoors, and it just about does me in. But I am not doing this full time. I would be interested to learn more about your experience with shows... how you find the ones that have your audience, what sort of prep you do, if you change your displays often, that sort of thing. Thanks for sharing your talents with the world! (And I think you should consider Etsy! I just did ;-) Enjoy the day! Erin

Artisan Beads Plus said...

Yay Kelli! Great first blog post ever!!!

Alice said...

Your booth is beautiful! I have been doing shows since I first started making jewelry. Eventhough I don't travel far, it is not easy. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right show for your work. Other factors such as the economy, or vendors selling mass made can work against you. But meeting the people and seeing the customers joy at finding just the right piece makes it totally worth it!

Anonymous said...

Alice, make sure you enter "juried" art shows, not craft shows. And look for those that are established. I think you'll have better luck, and be much more pleased. I've been doing shows for over 15 years. I started out in another medium, doing "craft" shows. They can be really, really tough. And don't get discouraged if you don't get in one year. Keep on trying!!!
- Erin, I too do this "part time"... Well, I have a full time job aside from this. I LOVE doing shows. I've done some REAL duds, and over the years have found my favorites, and eliminated others where my audience changed. As my art evolves, sometimes I lose followers, and gain new ones. It's a never ending process. I would recommend you keep a mailing list. I mail postcards before every show, and see repeat customers show after show. It's really thrilling to get a following. My displays.. I don't change them often, but they have evolved with me as I find unique pieces to add, and others to fade out.
THANKS ladies for your interest!!!! :)

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...